A slice of hot pizza just from the oven with melted cheese dripping
Saturday is National Pizza Day, and I certainly intend to celebrate by downing a slice or two! Pizza memories? Bet most of us have ’em, whether it was an extra special trip to your favorite parlor as a child, a special birthday treat or maybe memories of that rubbery school cafeteria pizza come to mind. I’ll take a deep-dish weighing-in at over a pound a slice, or a thin and crispy takeout on a cardboard disc wrapped in carefully tented white paper speckled with droplets of glorious greasy pizza juices. Not particular, but not a fan of pineapple on pizza. Why take up space better used for CHEESE! Mountains and mountains of hot gooey salty yummy CHEESE. Man I am so hungry now. Yum. Anyway, in honor of the holiday, here are some new pizza stats for you, and don’t forget to tip your delivery driver!
1. 98% of Americans like pizza, and 54% of us even say we LOVE IT.
2. Almost one in three people eat it at least once a week.
3. 33 million Americans would pick pizza as their last meal on Earth . . . and 26 million would give up getting-it-on for a year for unlimited pizza.
4. The most popular toppings are pepperoni . . . sausage . . . mushroom . . . and bacon. And the least popular are anchovies . . . eggplant . . . pineapple . . . and artichokes.
5. When it comes to crusts, “regular” is the most popular type . . . thin crust is second . . . and deep dish is third.