Happy Earth Day
Yes, it’s Earth Day, now over fifty years old. I like the idea of taking a day to say “Hats Off” to the old girl. I love me some Earth, like most people. I mean you gotta appreciate four, four and a half billion years of existence. That’s a lot of trips around the sun, a lot of meteor impacts and countless quakes, floods, typhoons and volcanic eruptions. Earth is wearing it well I’d say. After all, the planet is the ultimate recycling system. The Earth Day idea originated with an Iowan named John McConnell in 1969, and the first Earth Day happened a year later in ’70. Here’s more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McConnell_(peace_activist)
So are you doing anything good for the planet today? Well, it doesn’t have to be a chore. A recent survey asked people to name the top eco-friendly things they do that make them proud, or spark joy. Here are ten things we actually enjoy doing . . .
1. Recycling. Rinsing it out first also made the list.
2. Turning off lights when you leave a room.
3. Remembering to take reusable bags with you to the store.
4. Flattening cardboard boxes.
5. Bringing a reusable water bottle with you to avoid using plastic.
6. Walking or biking somewhere instead of driving.
7. Avoiding single-use items in general.
8. Donating clothes or other items, so someone else can use them again.
9. Eating the food you bought at the store without wasting any.
10. Growing your own produce. Or just herbs if you don’t have a yard.
Here’s where I stumbled upon this info: https://www.swnsdigital.com/2021/03/these-are-the-top-30-green-tasks-which-brits-enjoy-doing/ Yeah, it’s a British survey, but we pretty much trash the same stuff on this side of the pond, so…..